ezoic-pub-ad-placeholder-135 - 970x90
Go PREMIUM to remove Ads

What to put if aircraft seen in flight not at airport

Posted by Jason on 31 May 2020 - 21:14:03
Local Airport: SOU

I'm not entirely sure what I should put for aircraft I see that are in flight, I have been putting N/A but I notice a lot say OTT which I understand means over the top but does this only apply to aircraft that fly directly overhead or can it be used for any sighting?

Premium Posted by Erazkiel on 01 June 2020 - 11:48:03
Local Airport: VAF

You can also put "OFF" and a comment to "explain" that it's an overflight.

Premium Posted by Polehill on 07 June 2020 - 20:59:59
Local Airport: MAN

I use OTT for any sighting that is flying when I am not at an airport and XMU for museum and off airport sightings of static exhibits.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Posted by james60059 on 09 June 2020 - 20:50:45
Local Airport: BHX

Personally, I'll put "OTT" in the location and then put in the comment that it was flying over "XYZ" on Flight "123"

Data Editor Posted by Warthog1 on 12 June 2020 - 18:44:47
Local Airport: SOU

Hi Jason,

There is really no hard and fast rule, it's what you feel most appropriate.

Most people use OTT (Over The Top) to denote anything flying (regardless of altitude). I use it and put a note in the comments field (only you can see this - it's not public) to show where I was (for example home here in East Wellow) and where it was tracking from/to (if known)

Like Steve, I use XMU to denote a Museum (unless the museum is at an airfield in which case I use the airfield code (and put a note in the comments to say it was at the museum (eg: YEO for Yeovilton and comment at the FAAM, or XMU for RAFM Hendon).

I only use OFF (Off Airport) when my sighting is not on dry land or OTT (for example aircraft carriers) and I use the notes to tell me what, & where (ie: USS Nimitz - Stokes Bay).

Hope this helps, any further questions don't be scared to ask!

Kind regards, Brian

Reply To Topic

You need to log in to post a reply to this topic.

<- Back To Forum