ezoic-pub-ad-placeholder-135 - 970x90
Go PREMIUM to remove Ads

Database Request Format

Posted by Jota3cl on 19 July 2020 - 02:43:17
Local Airport: WLG

Hi Brian and Dennis,

You guys both do a fantastic job updating the database with new and updated records, for which I am very grateful. However, I was wondering if there is a standard format for the data that would assist you in your work? The job must be quite time consuming, especially when requests contain information that is not consistent either in required content or layout. Please advise if there is anything that I (and hopefully others) can do to help.

Regards

Martin

Posted by erdni on 21 July 2020 - 05:17:10
Local Airport: Not specified

Always been too lazy to ask that question.

Thank you Martin

Data Editor Posted by Warthog1 on 22 July 2020 - 07:21:07
Local Airport: SOU

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your kind words.

As for formatting, there's no set standard, other than the info we require in order to create a record in the DB.

You'll notice that Dennis enters the manufacturer & type in the civil section while I put the Mil type and name (I assume most people know the mil manufacturer - there's not that many!) and I understood there was a plan to move away from the manufacturer name a year or so back.

I also put in the full 4-digit year on my entries now (to make it future proof) as I doubt I'll be updating in 20 years time when we start to catch-up with the 1940's listings!

As for info from yourselves, just as much as you can really, From my side if you put in c/n's with your request it often helps me to confirm I'm dealing with the right frame (particularly at museum's where they also wear false mks so the tie-ups take some research).

I never just enter what is requested (especially from Erdni, ha ha!), I always try to check my records and other sites that I know to be reliable for any missing info I need in order to put a fuller picture together.

I am talking to our Webmaster, Gavin, to try to have the mil side 'cleaned up' a little as you'll notice under the fleet listings there are often a/c entered several different ways (ie: Antonov 28; AN-28; M-28 etc.) and this has just come about over the years with various people entering them differently. I have tried to go in and standardise some of the fleets (a huge task as we have to individually edit each frame record) but I've noticed it doesn't always work and some still stay in their 'old' format in the list until you click on them and they have no record (because they're now in in the 'new' format - if that makes sense) but the 'old' list is still showing.

As far as I'm concerned on the mil side, just keep doing what you're doing (with c/n's if you have them) and together, we'll get the DB up-to-speed.

Kindest regards, Brian

Posted by DT on 22 July 2020 - 11:13:46

Hi everybody,

thanks for caring about any help on the database additions.

I for my part would always be grateful if the history of the specific aircraft would already be researched. When entering a new aircraft it doesn´t make sense to just enter the current operator but also the aircrafts history. Researching the can be very easy when you have a historical register (just like the British one) but can be a pain in the a... when registered elsewhere. Often there is not valid history especially for light plane. And searching for valid information is time consuming. So if there requests for oldies it really speeds up the process to get some history of the aircraft.

Another good help is to write the operators name in regular letters not in caps. So I can just copy these and do not have to write them.

As the huge request queue coincides with quite a large workload at my regular job I am a bit behind right now...

Cheers,

Dennis

Premium Posted by Erazkiel on 22 July 2020 - 20:12:19
Local Airport: VAF

Thanks for all explanation, it's now easier to understand how it works.

I'm jumping on this occasion to ask you regarding photos. As per my understanding, the first member who upload his/her photo linked to a plane will be "designated" as profil photo of this plane. Most of them are good "profil" pic but sometimes you some crappy backlite airport window of a plane at the gate. So if I understand well, if anyone load a better picture after that, the very first upload will remain the ID pic of the plane forever.

Is it working like that? In there any way to change the ID pic for a better one if someone load one?

Thanks for your explanation. Paul

Data Editor Posted by Warthog1 on 23 July 2020 - 13:38:29
Local Airport: SOU

Hi Paul,

I think that's exactly how it works...and I agree some of the quality of photo's I wouldn't dream of uploading in my name (ha ha !).

Perhaps if you want it changed then that's a matter for our Webmaster, Gavin, as he controls the coding of the system. Just send him an email at [email protected]

Kindest regards, Brian

Reply To Topic

You need to log in to post a reply to this topic.

<- Back To Forum